Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Resurrection

I remember writing a philosophy paper once about resurrection (I remember it being one of my best ones, that I actually understood the premise of).  One of the complications with bodily resurrection was that the 'stuff' that would be needed to recreate you in the future had probably been the 'stuff' of other things at some point in its existence, and perhaps other people.  Weren't we all the matter of stars back in the day (wish I could have been aware of that- it probably would have been cool)?  For a more obvious example, think of cannibals.  If I eat you, then the 'stuff' that makes up you, now has to go to work to make up the 'stuff' of me.  'Stuff' being physical matter.  How can we all be resurrected at the same time if the physical matter that makes up 'me' is also the physical matter that makes up my descendents and my ancestors?  We also run across the simple complication of what 'me' is resurrected?  You when you died?  You when you were a baby?  You at the 'prime of life', whatever that happened to be for you? Maybe somehow we can pick what body to resurrect.  Could be interesting. 

Anyway, this is actually just an invitation to (continue to) join us on "The Wandering Soul".  I hope this can continue to be a forum for interesting discussion on important matters of all kinds.  Thanks for joining us!

~Michelle

2 comments:

  1. Applause applause applause! Happy to pick this up again :-)

    I know I profess to believe in the resurrection of the body at church, but I'm not actually sure that I've ever given it much thought. I think it's one of those kind of weird things that I just ignore because I'm not sure of the value of believing it. I don't really mind the idea of my body decomposing and continuing the circle of life. I kind of think that cradle-to-grave design God had going was particularly brilliant. Why mess that up?

    I have, however, wondered about the whole "when you get to heaven, what version of you are you for the rest of eternity?" Or do you get to keep growing and changing and maybe you aren't really the earthly you at all anymore. Instead, perhaps we are just continuously transforming into new versions.

    Sort of related to the stages of life and growth/transformation, I just read this article that I thought was quite lovely. Enjoy http://www.relevantmagazine.com/life/whole-life/features/25956-11-things-to-know-at-25ish

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the article =) Maybe because I can identify with most of the items on the list.

    ReplyDelete